Eva has worked in emergencies in the Middle East, Africa and Asia for NGOs and the ICRC focusing particularly on protection issues. She has degrees in Middle Eastern Studies as well as International Law. Her current research focuses on civil-military relations and the history of humanitarian action.
2008 Master in Public and International Law
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
1997 Master in Middle Eastern Studies, Arabic and Geography
University of Berne, Switzerland and Berlin, Germany
From 1999 to 2012 held various positions within the ICRC (protection coordinator, head of office, head of delegation) in operational contexts in the Middles East, Africa and Asia as well as Headquarters dealing with policy issues.
Prior to joining the ICRC, she worked for NGOs and the Swiss Development Agency in the West Bank and Jordan.
Eva Svoboda has extensive knowledge of the occupied Palestinian territories and she can also comment on issues relating to Syria, Iraq and Somalia. Eva has appeared in, for example, Reuters, Huffington Post, Al Rai (Kuwait), Voice of Russia and The Jordan Times.
- 12 January 2016, The Guardian4 January 2016, Integrated Regional Information Networks
- 17 November 2015, Christian Science Monitor29 October 2015, Thomson Reuters Foundation (trust.org)
- 31 March 2015, Integrated Regional Information Network (IRIN)13 March 2015, Thomson Reuters Foundation (trust.org)
- 21 February 2014, Voice of Russia (VOR)
- 19 November 201314 June 2013, Council on Foreign Relations
Contact this member of staff