The Humanitarian Policy Group is dedicated to improving humanitarian policy and practice through a combination of high-quality analysis, dialogue and debate.
HPG's research focuses on five core research themes:
- Principles, politics and the humanitarian system
- Civilian security and protection
- Displacement, migration and urbanisation
- Livelihoods and food security in crises
- Programming in transitional contexts
Twice a year HPG runs a week-long course in partnership with academic institutions.
The Advanced Course on Conflict, Crisis and Transitions is held in partnership with the Post-war Reconstruction and Development Unit (PRDU) at the University of York, UK. Two Advanced Courses are held in partnership with the School of Public Policy & Management at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
HPG also contributes to the MSc in International Humanitarian Affairs, delivered by the PRDU at the University of York.