- What information ODI may collect about you;
- What ODI does with the information we gather about you;
- When ODI may use your details to contact you;
- Whether ODI will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the personal information you have provided; and
- ODI's commitment to keeping your details secure.
ODI is the data controller for ODI newsletters and any subscriber data.
We process your personal data in relation to your subscription by consent when you subscribe electronically. Where we send you postal mail, we do so through our legitimate interests as we believe that doing so does not unduly harm your privacy rights. You can opt out at any point by contacting us.
Be aware that ODI's website contains links to other websites of interest operated by third parties. These third-party websites have their privacy policies, including cookies, and we recommend that you review them as they will govern the use of personal information you submit while visiting these websites.
We do not accept any liability for the privacy practices of such third-party websites.
Information will be requested from you when you subscribe to, receive one of our newsletters, post a comment to the ODI blog, purchase any of our products, or sign up to attend any ODI events.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable ODI and its service providers to deliver the services you select. We may collect the following information:
- Name, organisation and job title.
- Contact information, including email address.
- Demographic information such as address and post code.
- Preferences and interests.
- Employment history, education, skills and references (if applying for a position or placement at ODI).
- Other information relevant to user surveys.
- Event registration and attendance.
A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may, however, prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
The website also uses traffic logs and cookies to identify which pages you visit or files you download. We use Google Analytics to collect this information. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes. We retain your data on Google Analytics for 38 months. Read more about Google Analytics security and privacy principles.
ODI will use your personal information to:
- Periodically send you news updates, event invitations, publications announcements or other information you may find interesting.
- Pass to a selection panel for consideration (in the case of online job applications).
- Contact you for service administration purposes (for instance, if you have forgotten your password or if you have posted a comment on our blog).
- Refine the outputs and services we offer; Employment history, education, skills and references (if applying for a position or placement at ODI).
- Check that our records are correct.
- Invite you to participate in or contribute to specific research projects being undertaken by ODI researchers (participation is always voluntary).
We do look to see how many people are opening our emails but do not use this data to profile you individually.
Please note that ODI hosts a number of websites and mailing lists (e.g. ODI e- newsletters, ODI events and others).
You will have the option to unsubscribe from these ODI lists if you wish, and you may opt to receive mailings from only one list.
You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for use other than those listed above.
We do not share your data with anyone other than our newsletter service provider Dotmailer and our events management service provider NationBuilder. Some of our newsletters and publications are published by organisations that are wholly owned by ODI.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or disclosure is required by law. In some instances, however, ODI may use third parties to process your information.
On these occasions, we will require that these third parties comply strictly with our policy and will prohibit the use of your personal information for their own business purposes.
ODI is fully compliant with GDPR and the UK Data Protection Act 2018. We do look to see how many people are opening our emails but do not use this data to profile you individually.
We use a third-party provider, Dotmailer, to deliver our newsletter. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletter. Dotmailer provides more information on their services on their website.
We use a third-party provider, NationBuilder, to manage our event registration and email communications. Individual event registration and attendance data is collected to monitor audience sizes and drop-out rates. NationBuilder provides more information on their services on their website.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We will come back to you every couple of years to renew consent where we ask for this – otherwise, we will bring the privacy notice to your attention every couple of years.
If you request to be removed from a particular mailing list, your profile will be tagged as inactive. If you request to be removed completely from the list, your data will also be deleted.
You may request details of personal information held about you. If you would like a copy of your personal information that we hold, please write to the Data Protection Lead, ODI, 203 Blackfriars Road , London SE1 8NJ or email [email protected].
If you believe that any information, we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible and we will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
You can contact the data protection lead to exercise any of your Data Protection rights, including complaints, or contact the regulator, if you have any concerns that you feel we have not addressed.
By email: [email protected]
By post: ODI, 203 Blackfriars Road , London SE1 8NJ
By phone: +44 (0)20 7922 0300
ODI reserves the right to amend this policy by updating this page. If this is done, we will send a link to the revised policy in the next email we send to mailing list recipients.