Nicola has a PhD in Political Science and specialises in research and advisory work on gender, childhood and youth, social policy and social protection. She has carried out work for a range of funders (AusAID, DFID, EU, FAO, UNICEF, UNDP, IDRC, GAVI Alliance, Oak Foundation, Plan International, Save the Children, UN Women and the World Bank) and her country expertise is broad, having worked in East and West Africa, Asia, Latin America and more recently in the MENA region. Nicola is currently Co-Director of the Gender and Adolescence: Global Evidence (GAGE) programme, a nine-year DFID-funded longitudinal research programme building knowledge on good-practice programmes and policies that support adolescent girls in the Global South to reach their full potential. She has published widely including six books, more than 20 peer-reviewed journal articles, as well as reports, policy briefs and short communication pieces.
Interviewed in: How to fix war-torn societies? Help women to work - Adela Suliman | Thomson Reuters Foundation 24 March 2017
- 24 February 2020, Health Times20 October 2019, The Jordan Times
- 11 December 2018, Reuters4 December 2018, Devex
- 26 July 2017, Devex9 July 2017, Public Finance International
- 27 March 2016, The Guardian20 March 2016, El Pais
- 6 March 2016, El Pais20 August 2015, Public Finance International