Senior Research Associate
Simon is an economist who began his career working overseas, first in Kenya and India for the UN Development Programme, and then in Bolivia for the UK Overseas Development Administration. He was a Fellow of IDS in Sussex from 1981-1997 and was Director of the Overseas Development Institute from 1997-2009. Since 2009, he has inter alia been Executive Chair of the Climate and Development Knowledge Network (2010-17), and Specialist Adviser to the International Development Select Committee of the UK House of Commons (2010-17). Simon is a past President of the Development Studies Association of the UK and Ireland. In 2007, he was awarded a CBE for services to international development. He writes extensively on development policy.
- 1 June 2020, Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN)30 May 2020, Thomson Reuters Foundation
- 26 January 2016, Public Finance International20 March 2014, El Pais
- 20 March 2014, El Pais29 September 2011, Internationale Weiterbildung und Entwicklung gGmbH (Inwent)
- 19 September 2011, Reuters Alertnet8 September 2011, Open Democracy
- 20 May 2011, English at the Al Jazeera3 May 2011, Digital Journal