Jessica coordinates ODI's migration research and leads our contributions to two five-year projects on migration and development, MIGNEX (EC funded) and the GCRF UKRI South-South Migration, Inequality and Development Hub. Her research focuses on understanding how migration and economic and social policies affect migrant decision-making, impacts of migration on migrants and their families, the interlinkages between migration and social protection, covering a diverse range of countries, including Albania, Ethiopia and Nepal. Jessica also has extensive experience in the design and analysis of household surveys, conducting systematic literature reviews and the analysis of social protection programmes and policies. She holds a PhD in Public Policy from Maastricht University.
Jessica Hagen-Zanker has extensive knowledge of migration, impacts of social protection and household surveys in low income countries. Jessica is available to comment on, in particular, recent migration to Europe and migrant decision-making. She has appeared in, for example, CBNC Africa, the Independent, BBC Nepal, Voice of America.
- Ethiopia adopts one of the most progressive refugee policies in Africa, a smart move for its economy23 January 2019, Ventures Africa17 October 2017, IndiaSpend
- 7 February 2017, World Economic Forum31 January 2017, Business Insider
- 9 March 2016, Gulf News (gulfnews.com)20 February 2016, The Economist
- On refugees, Europe, preserving brains, China, Bernie Sanders, the Cleveland Browns, millennials - Letters to the editor18 February 2016, The Economist18 February 2016
- 17 February 2016, Huffington Post UK16 February 2016, Huffington Post