Andrew's main research interests are energy access for poverty reduction and the role of energy in sustainable livelihoods and in the transition to low-carbon development pathways.
He has 30 years' experience in international development policy and practice in East and Southern Africa, South Asia and Latin America, and began his career as an ODI Fellow in Botswana. His experience includes financial and socio-economic analysis, monitoring and evaluation, project/programme formulation and planning, and research, in the areas of technology innovation and use in small-scale production, small enterprises and the environment, energy poverty and policy, the development impacts of new technologies, and science and technology in development.
Andrew has an educational background in economics, but has worked across the social sciences. Before joining ODI he was for many years at Practical Action, an international NGO which aims to help eradicate poverty through the development and use of technology.
Andrew's reports have been covered extensively. He has featured prominently in The Independant and The Guardian.
- 20 January 2020, Al Jazeera20 January 2020, The National (UAE)
- 8 November 2019, E&E News30 May 2019, Devex
- 5 December 2017, Six Degrees News3 December 2017, Swarajya Magazine
- 1 December 2017, Business Daily21 November 2017, Thomson Reuters Foundation
- 20 November 2017, Decentralised Energy19 November 2017, Samoa Observer