The G20 spends $88 billion a year supporting fossil fuel exploration - more than twice what the oil and gas companies are spending on finding new reserves. Our infographics highlight the figures, including what Australia, Brazil, the UK and US are spending annually.
We created these infographics using the following sources:
- Bast, E., Makhijani, S., Pickard, S. and Whitley, S. (2014) The fossil fuel bailout: G20 subsidies for oil, gas and coal exploration. London: Overseas Development Institute.
- Financial Times (2013) ‘Brazil’s ‘Bolsa Família’ relieves poverty’. London: Financial Times.
- Greenough River Solar Farm (2011) ‘Australia’s first utility-scale solar PV project under way in Western Australia’ (pdf). Perth: Greenough River Solar Farm.
- Parkinson, G. (2013) ‘People power: Rooftop solar PV reaches 3GW in Australia’. Neutral Bay: RenewEconomy.
- Renewables First (2014) ‘How much does a farm wind turbine / small wind farm turbine cost?’ Brimscombe: Renewables First.
- UK Department for Communities and Local Government (2014)‘Number of Dwellings by Tenure and district: England; 2013’. London: UK Department for Communities and Local Government.
- Wind NI (2014) ‘Frequently Asked Questions’. Larne: Wind NI.
- Solar Energy Industries Association (2014) 'Solar Industry Data'.
- Solar Energy Industries Association (2014) 'What's in a megawatt?'
- United States Census Bureau (2013) 'State & County QuickFacts'.