Research reports and studies
Claire Melamed, Paul Ladd
As of Wednesday 18th September, 2013, almost 1,130,000 people from 194 countries had participated in the MY World global survey.
- Over 80% of participants are from developing countries – over one third (35%) from low Human Development Index (HDI) countries; another 45% from medium HDI countries.
- Half of participants completed the survey using the ballot ‘pen and paper’ method.
- Over one third of participants have low education levels and are likely to be poor (education is used as a proxy for income in most surveys) – 15% of participants didn’t finish primary school; another 22% only finished primary school.
- There is a roughly equal gender split for participants: 53% male, 47% female; although for the SMS outreach male participants outnumbered women by almost 3 to 1.
- Over two thirds (68%) of participants are under the age of 30.
The MY World results offer a preliminary outline of what the global deal on new goals would be if it were up to the world’s citizens.