International assistance has focused on people who have fled eastern Ukraine for government controlled areas, but needs are significantly higher in and around the frontlines in rebel-held Donetsk and Luhansk.
This IRIN/HPG Crisis Brief looks at how a Ukrainian oligarch, local organisations and Russian aid are providing a lifeline in eastern Ukraine. But much of the aid response has been highly contested, with armed groups on different sides seeking to block aid, claiming it may be serving to support military aims.
- Humanitarian policy
- Civilian security and protection
- Protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Livelihoods and food security in crises
- Social protection and safety nets in emergencies
- Principles, politics and the humanitarian system
- Architecture of the humanitarian system
- New players in the humanitarian system
- Humanitarian principles and International Humanitarian Law